Bromelain is a mixture of enzymes found in the juice and in the stem of pineapples. Historically it has been used for a variety of illnesses including nasal inflammation, digestive disorders, and muscle soreness.
Bromelain is currently used for numerous clinical applications due to its therapeutic effects in the treatment of inflammation and soft tissue injuries. Source
Bromelain is considered by some to be as effective as some NSAIDs. Source
How does Bromelain work?
Bromelain seems to work by helping the body to produce substances that fight pain and inflammation. Bromelain also contains chemicals that interfere with the growth of tumor cells and slows blood clotting.
Bromelain is thought to work synergistically with quercetin to help promote respiratory health.
Benefits of Bromelain supplementation
• Knee pain- Studies show that oral intake of bromelain may reduce mild knee pain. Source
• Skin conditions- Research has shown that bromelain may help treat some skin conditions.
• Pain after surgery- Some research has shown that bromelain reduces pain after wisdom tooth removal. Source
• Rheumatoid arthritis (RA)- Studies have shown that bromelain can reduce joint swelling in people with rheumatoid arthritis. Source
• Inflammation of the nose and sinuses (rhinosinusitis)- Research shows that taking bromelain in conjunction with decongestants, antihistamines, or antibiotics helps to reduce nasal swelling in people with sinusitis. In one such study 85% of people taking bromelain had complete resolution of breathing difficulties and airway inflammation compared to just 53% and 40% in the placebo group respectively. Source
• A type of inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis)- Early research shows that bromelain may help alleviate ulcerative colitis symptoms in people who haven’t had significant relief after other standard therapies. Source
• Tendonopathy- may help reduce pain after overuse or injury of tendons. Source
• Antibiotic absorption- May help enhance the absorption of antibiotics. Source
• Hayfever- May help alleviated symptoms of hayfever and is considered by many as a natural antihistamine. Source
Recommended daily dose is 1/4 teaspoon(approx) (500mg) per day
*As the density of each batch can vary we highly recommend using a scale to ensure dose accuracy. These can be purchased online for very reasonable prices (less than $20).
In some people, oral supplementation of bromelain may cause adverse reactionssuch as:
changes in menstruation
an increased heart rate
Bromelain should not be used by people who have an allergy to pineapple or to other substances that may elicit an allergic reaction in those allergic to pineapple (cross-reactivity). These substances include:
Supplements like bromelain may interact with medication and may not be suitable for people with certain health conditions. Talk with your doctor before incorporating them into your diet.
These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA or TGA. This product is for personal use only, to help support general well-being, and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Novoceuticals is not liable for any information on this site regarding the recommendation of supplements for any health purposes.
We believe that you are what you eat, and we're dedicated to providing the best quality nutraceutical products available at affordable prices.
We sell only premium quality products, sourced from the best available manufacturers of that product in the world
Our products are sourced from GMP and ISO certified manufacturers only
We stand by our products, and use them ourselves everyday
Parcel Post - 2+ Business day delivery
Express Post - Next business day delivery for destinations within the Express Post Network. Allow 3-6 business days to WA and NT & 2-3 weeks for international orders
International Standard - estimated 6+ business days
International Express - estimated 2-4 business days
If you have changed your mind and wish to return an unopened product here's what you do.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org advising us of the product you wish to return.
Post the item back to us within 30 days of ordering it (you will need to cover the shipping costs).
We’ll process your refund when we receive the item and email you to let you know.